Search Teacher Traveler

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

At Richmond International Airport: Here We Go!

I'm at Richmond International Airport, ready to start my adventure... in 2 hours when my plane boards. I'm always early. Said goodbye to my family after checking in my bags, luckily no tears just good hugs and pictures! The man at the check-in desk saw my baggage and asked, "Are you moving?" Yes sir, I am. To a different continent. Here we go!



I mentioned in my last post that I determined I needed a second checked bag and that my first checked bag was overweight. Luckily both issues were taken care of with a swipe of my debit card - $150. Oh well. I am not a minimalist, and while I hope to one day be able to live out of a 40L backpack, today is not that day. I'm actually impressed that I was able to fit all the stuff I wanted to take into just 4 pieces.
(Left - two checked bags - 65 lbs and 33 lbs / Right - carry-on and accessory purse - 26 lbs total)





It really hasn't hit me that I'm moving out of the USA today. I mean, I've done the living abroad thing before when I spent a semester in Australia. But this is different. This is permanent, or as permanent as the future can be. I don't intend to live in the US again so this really is the end of an era.

I'm much calmer than I expected I'd be. I slept well - which never happens before a big event, and I haven't felt stressed, which is a big deal as those of you who know me will agree. I feel ready, prepared, excited. If I'm nervous it's only about the elements out of my control, such as flight delays. But I don't think I'm even nervous. I'm calm. This feels right, this is what I want to do with my life, and it's happening, right now.

I still have about an hour and a half before my flight boards, but I'm signing off. Safe travels everyone.

Happy teaching and traveling, :)
Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment